Discover how successful Shopify stores get found on Google searches. Use this checklist to improve the rankings of your store. Tips to make it more SEO friendly.
Congratulations! You are a savvy Shopify Store Owner… you want to do the right thing.
Of course, why else would you want to dedicate so much effort to build your store? Yes, we know it takes hard work to set it up and get it ready for primetime.
Are you getting ready to fuel your sales these holidays? Start on the right foot by covering the basics of SEO for your store.
By now, you’ve probably realized that all this hard work does not necessarily translate into new customers, and probably one the biggest challenges your store faces is getting found on Google searches.
Quite a conundrum! you now have a beautiful store and your stock is ready to ship, but you need to get those orders in.
Are you getting enough of them?
The checklist we are about to share is the result of many, many hours of website optimization work, research and testing.
Without further ado, use these tips and steps then start tracking your store’s rank on Google, Bing and Yahoo!. Don’t forget to let us know how it goes. Leave your comments.
Let’s start with the fun part! We are leaving the more tedious or technical part for last, however we want you to do all of it.
Drumroll… Number one!!!
- Add a proper “Title” to every page of your store. That must be fun! And what do we mean by proper title?
- No more than 60 to 70 characters in length
- Use descriptive keywords for your narrative, focus on what the customers are searching for rather than what you think is valuable. We’ve seen stores so in love with their products that they include titles with words like “Nanotechnology”, take a guess – How many people are searching for Nanotechnology hoping to find a Shopify store that sells whatever that means? Beats me.
- Next, add a description to all your pages. Shopify allows for 160 characters for your page description. That is a lot of fun too! Make sure you follow the descriptive keywords recommendations we gave you on step # 1.
You will find these two SEO fields at the bottom of your admin pages, see below:
Done? Great! You’ve completed two basic steps of SEO! We hope it was fun to do.
Now, let’s move on to another not so fun part but really necessary. the H1 and H2 headings.
H1 or the heading tag, also head tag, is used to define the headings of a page. Consider H2 a sub heading of H1.
These 2 on-page headings (H1, H2) matter to Google and Bing, and in particular the first three words you use on each of these heading. Here is how to do it.
- On Shopify, the title of your pages is already formatted as H1, so you don’t need to worry about that.
- Now H2, consider your H2 heading as the first paragraph on your page. On this paragraph, describe the page with relevant search terms, when you are entering your narrative, highlight the text and select Heading 2 from the formatting bar of your editor.
The screenshots below show how you create your H1, H2 on your admin view (left image), and how those headings show on the page (right image).
Search engines will pick that up the H1 and H2 formatting, if there is space available on the SERP or Search Engine Results Page, they will show your H1 and H2 as an available link to an internal page on your store.
H1 and H2 Examples Admin & Customer Views
From this point on your SEO gets a bit more technical, but still not rocket science. Let’s get to it.
- If you haven’t done so yet, claim your business on Google My Business and make sure you also claim it on Bing Places.
- Get your store listed for free on Yahoo! Once you’ve completed all three listings you have fulfilled the requirements to show on approximately 97% of the search volume in the US. Wow.
- Tip! getting a free listing on Yahoo! is a bit tricky and you may think you have to pay to get the store listed. Follow the instructions shown below, created by Local Marketing Institute and you won’t have to pay a dime.
- Go to Yahoo, search for your business, and you should see a link to “Add or update your business”.
- That link will take you to http://www.yext.com/pl/yahoo-claims/index.html (you can just go here directly if you prefer).
- Enter your business information and click “Find My Listings”.
- You’ll then see page that is powered by Yext. It’s a bit intimidating with an “error rate” and all of these warnings that you’re not standing out and not verified through Yext. For now, don’t worry about all of this, just click the big “Continue” button.
Is Your Facebook Strategy Working?
Many successful Shopify stores rely on Facebook ads. Do you want free advice?
- Next, you can update the information about your listing. Complete this page fully … and don’t forget to use the same NAP (name, address, phone) that you use everywhere for your business. Click the “Continue” button when you’re done.
- Yext will then present you with four paid plans, but immediately below these plans is a tiny link that says, “Claim your Basic Listing only on Yahoo” … click that link.
- You’re now at the “Yahoo Basic Listing Checkout” page. Complete the checkout and click “Place Order” (it’s free).
- Yext will send you an email to verify your email address. Click the link, create a password, then login to your account.
- The final step is to verify you represent this business. The easiest method is to have them call you, but there are other methods as well
You now have claimed and can manage your free listing on Yahoo.
And… that’s a wrap.
By implementing the checklist you got your store’s SEO started on the right foot. It’s important to understand that the SEO or optimization of your store never stops, there are always improvements you can make, like adding blog posts with great content value, refining your keyword list and more.
******* DON’T FORGET TO DOWNLOAD THIS BLOG POST AS A FREE eBOOK *******
This article only covers the “Must-Have” SEO updates that your store requires, make sure you follow the instructions closely and you will likely see your store rankings increase dramatically in two weeks or so.
It takes time for the search crawlers to pick up your new information and index it, so please be patient. If you start today you will likely see the new SEO effect prior Black Friday.
For more information or for inquiries and guidance you can contact info at clickkahuna.com. Leave us your comment and good luck!
For more detailed information about SEO comprehensive services visit Click Kahuna.